In todayís world recruiters plays an important role in bridging the gap between job seekers and employers thus ensuring the continuous prosperity of business. But these are useful unless or until any unscrupulous recruiters exploit job seekers by conducting unethical recruitment. Results of unethical recruitment are always annoying and may adversely affect job seekers, employers, recruiters as well as migrant workers. We will discuss its effect on all one by one. But before that, one must be aware of the ethical recruitment process.
Ethical recruitment: Ethics are basically the principles or standards that are useful for our day to day business activities according to established corporate values. They offer the wide range of organizational integrity, helps in achieving business goals, policies, and practices.In the case of recruitment ethical recruitment applies when any organization wishes to attract applicants for vacant positions by taking into account trust, respect, honesty, responsibility & overall pursuits of perfection. the case of recruitment ethical recruitment applies when any organization wishes to attract applicants for vacant positions by taking into account trust, respect, honesty, responsibility & overall pursuits of perfection. for vacant positions by taking into account trust, respect, honesty, responsibility & overall pursuits of perfection.
Ethics in the fields of recruiting, selection & staffing depends on upon the person involved in the recruitment process. It’s clear that hiring manager, searcher & recruiter will be three people involved in the recruitment process.
Now ethical issues while recruiting employees: There are many issues faced by organizations and recruiters while selecting the right candidate for the right job which is the top notch priority for any organization.
- Employees insecurity: Streamlining has led to the downsizing of organizations, those employees which left behind feels insecure about their job as a result of this they start mistrusting management. Job insecurity can result in stress for the employees which increase the likelihood of mistakes made by employees.
- Discriminatory recruitment practices: These practices may inhibit the success of women or people from minority backgrounds.
In order to avoid this code of ethics are conducted both for employees and job seekers.
- Employees should treat all job seekers equally.
- No discrimination should be there on the basis of race , gender, political views, age, sexual orientation. Employees should not request job seekers to post their photos on resumes.
- While making hiring decision employers should only rely on job oriented information.
For job seekers:
- Ensuring resume accuracy
- Employees should accept and expect employment history verification.
- In case they want to publish their individual photos they resume personal responsibility in that case.
Effect of unethical recruitment process:
Migrants: Migrants leave their home due to huge recruitment fees and are forced to take jobs which don’t interest them at all, have their passport and their identity documents confiscated which are subject to violations of human rights.
Employers: Employers don’t want to hire people who have been exploited and have brands legal liability. Because hiring such employees employers have to face higher turnover rates as workers donít have necessary skills and competencies necessary for the job.
Recruiters: Recruiters may face competition from unethical recruiters who damage the reputation of the industry.
Recruitment practices: Firms that rely only on referrals of present employees to recruit new employees tend to recruit employees from those racial groups that are already represented in their labour force. So such type of recruitment practices should be avoided in ethical recruitment.